From the majestic glaciers of Patagonia to the vibrant beaches of Rio, South and Central America are the perfect choice for seasoned travellers desiring an authentic and electric destination unspoilt by the tourist masses. A basic knowledge of Spanish will go a long way in ensuring a smooth and rewarding trip, and plenty of research into available tours and packages will help to get the best out of this formidable continent.
The emerald pools of Semuc Champey in Guatemala, the Monteverde Cloud Forest in Costa Rica, the famed Panama Canal… The possibilities are endless for exploring in relatively untouched settings. Each individual country boasts its own unique identity, offering something to entice adrenaline seekers, wildlife enthusiasts, beach fans and culture connoisseurs.
- Santiago – Chile’s cosmopolitan metropolis bustles with energy and great restaurants, with the nearby coastal town of Valparaiso offering a relaxing escape and historical funiculars.
- The Galapagos Islands – This ecological paradise comprises 19 volcanic islands bursting with flora and fauna, granting a once in a lifetime opportunity for animal lovers.
- Machu Picchu – The Lost City of the Incas represents a rite of passage for many visitors to South America. Its stunning scenery and mystical attraction more than make up for the incessant crowds and strenuous hike.
- Buenos Aires – Argentina’s sophisticated capital oozes passion and style. Neoclassical architecture, a distinct European feel, steaks to make the mouth water, and a diverse populace sets the metropolis apart from other Latin cities.
- Iguazu Falls – One of the world’s most spectacular wonders, this immense waterfall straddles the border between Argentina and Brazil. The sheer noise and power of the fall is enough to take your breath away and makes an essential destination for every visitor.
- Rio de Janeiro – Bursting with colour and atmosphere, this raucous party hotspot offers a welcome introduction to Brazilian spirit. The city’s famed nightlife and vivid carnivals combine with sizzling beaches, the iconic Sugarloaf Mountain and Rio’s relentless watcher, to make this one of the most infectious and memorable destinations on the planet.